Slide 1

Stephen Mack & Hannah Saunders Covey family

Slide 2

Irene, Stephen, Grandy, Helen Jean, John, Marilyn

Slide 3

Grandy, Marilyn, Helen Jean, Irene

Slide 4

Papa & Grandy

Slide 5

Stephen Mack Covey, 4th from the right

Slide 6

John, Helen Jean, Irene, Stephen

Slide 6

Stephen L with his boys

Slide 6

Family photo at Grandy & Papa's house

Slide 6

Snake River cabin

Slide 6

Stephen Longstroth Richards and Grandy in the dining room at the canyon cabin

Slide 6

Christmas, approximately 1912

Slide 6

Believed to be Mark & Susannah Ogden Bigler

Slide 6

George Albert & Bathsheba Bigler Smith

Slide 6

L to R, Stephen Glenn Covey, Irene Louise Richards Covey, Stephen Mack Covey

Slide 6

Enoch & Janett Carruth Young Covey

Slide 6

Stephen L & Irene Smith Merrill Richards

Slide 6

Demas Ashdown & Hannah Barwell Saunders

Slide 6

Stephen Glenn Covey (2nd from right, back row) with siblings

Slide 6

Covey Family Photo at Grandy's and Papa's

Slide 6

L to R, John, Marilyn, Helen Jean, Irene, Stephen

Slide 6

Stephen Mack & Hannah Ashdown Covey

Example Frame

Bathsheba Bigler (1822-1910) 87 yrs



BIRTH...3 May 1822, Shinnston, Harrison County, Virginia

PARENTS...Mark Bigler, Susannah Ogden (Bigler)


MARRIAGE...25 July 1841, George Albert Smith

  1. George Albert Smith
  2. Bathsheba Kate Smith

DEATH...20 September 1910

  1. Bathsheba Bigler
  2. Bathsheba Kate Smith
  3. Irene Smith Merrill
  4. Irene Louise Richards
  5. Marilyn Richards Covey 

George A, Bathsheba Kate, and Bathsheba Bigler Smith
Wears black lace mitts, kite drop earrings with matching 4'' neck broach. Her belt is 4'' wide with a large square metal buckle. Large satin bow under pointed lace collar. Bodice is tight, its oval draped yoke has two pleats and pom pom accents that also appear on the cuff.

Bathsheba Bigler Smith artifacts belonging to the LDS Church

Bathsheba Wilson Bigler Smith (1822-1910) was the fourth general president of the Relief Society, matron of the Salt Lake Temple, woman suffrage leader, and member of the Deseret Hospital Board of Directors.

Bathsheba was the eighth of nine children born to Mark and Susannah Ogden Bigler at Shinnston, Harrison County, Virginia, on May 3, 1822. She was reared in a genteel, upper South culture. The Biglers provided a substantial living for the family on their 300-acre plantation. 

Bathsheba was trained in management, hospitality, handiwork, and art, and was a cheerful, dignified, and prayerful woman.
At the age of fifteen, Bathsheba and her family joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. One of the missionaries serving in the area, George A. Smith, later to be the youngest member called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, became acquainted with this tall, sophisticated southern belle; before he left Virginia, they pledged that "with the blessings of the Almighty in preserving us, in three years from this time, we will be married."
The Bigler family gathered with the Saints in Nauvoo in 1839. Following his return from a mission in England, George and Bathsheba were married on July 25, 1841. While in Nauvoo, they became parents of two children, George A., Jr., and Bathsheba. Their son was killed in 1860 by Indians while serving a mission.
From the time of her marriage, her life was closely intertwined with the Church's movements and programs. She was one of the twenty founding members of the Female Relief Society. She received the ordinance of anointing from Emma Smith and, with her husband, received the Endowment under the direction of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Her relationship with the Smiths provided Bathsheba with a solid conviction of the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith.
Bathsheba was a diversely talented woman. She studied portraiture with William W. Major, a British convert, and carried her paintings of her husband, her parents, and Joseph and Hyrum Smith in a covered wagon to Utah. She was a full participant in the heritage of leadership prescribed to LDS women; she gave blessings to the sick, washed and anointed women in confinement prior to childbirth, and served in leadership positions in the Church and community. A loyal and committed friend, she exchanged names with a childhood girlfriend surnamed Wilson, adding that name to her established signature.
During the early 1870s, Bathsheba made frequent trips with her husband, then first counselor to President Brigham Young, through settlements north and south of Salt Lake City on preaching and pioneering tours. After the death of her husband in 1875, Bathsheba pursued with customary vigor her commitments to civic and ecclesiastical affairs. Representative of such verve, at a women's meeting in 1870 she made the motion "that we demand of the Governor the right of franchise." This proposal was subsequently signed into law, making the Territory of Utah one of the first places in the nation to give women the right to vote.
In addition to her service as a ward and stake Relief Society leader, and as second counselor and later general president of the Relief Society, Bathsheba also officiated in each of the temples constructed during her lifetime: Nauvoo, Logan, Manti, St. George, and Salt Lake. 

For seventeen years, she also participated with Eliza R. Snow in conducting sacred ceremonies in the Endowment house.
As general president of the Relief Society (1901-1910), President Smith maintained the forward pace of women. She sent representatives to national and international women's meetings, sponsored nurses' training and free services for the poor, and organized lessons for Relief Society classes. She promoted funding for construction of the Women's Building, from which the programs for the women of the Church were directed. It was this building that Church leaders later elected to rename the Bishops' Building, to accommodate the offices of both the Presiding Bishopric and the women's organizations.
Bathsheba Smith died on September 20, 1910, in Salt Lake City. Her funeral was held in the Salt Lake Tabernacle (the first woman to be paid that honor).

Author: Arrington, Harriet Horne

I am the daughter of Mark and Susanah Bigler, and was born near Shinnston, Harrison County, West Virginia, on May 3rd, 1822.
My grandfather, Jacob Bigler, came from Pennsylvania and settled on the east side of the west fork of the Monongahela River, about two miles below where the village of Thinnston now stands. He spoke the German language. My grandmother's maiden name was Hannah Brother. My father was their oldest son; he had two brothers, Jacob and Henry. After the death of my grandfather, my father purchased the homestead of about three hundred acres.

My mother's name was Ogden; she was a native of Maryland. Her family from conscientious motives had given freedom to their slaves. My father also was unwilling to deal in that kind of property. He devoted his energies to farming and to rearing cattle.

My school facilities were very limited. My father and other neighbors occasionally hired a teacher to teach a few months in the year in a vacant house on our farm.

The county of Harrison was hilly, and at the time of my girlhood the roads were of a primitive character, and the streams were without bridges. The mode of travel was chiefly on horseback. I took great pleasure in thus riding over the hills and mountains and in fording the streams.
I was somewhat religiously inclined; loved honesty, truthfulness and integrity. I attended to my secret prayers, studied to be cheerful, industrious, and happy, was opposed to rudeness. I often attended the meetings of different sects, but did not see much difference in them. I liked to attend the Presbyterian meetings, because they had the handsomest church and the Reverend Mr. Bristol was so gentlemanly and pious; and could preach so eloquently. 

When I was in my sixteenth year, some Latter-day Saint elders visited our neighborhood. I heard them preach and believed what they taught. I believed the Book of Mormon to be a divine record, and that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God. I knew by the spirit of the Lord which [I] received in answer to prayer, that these things were true. On the 21st of August 1837, I was baptized into the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Elder Samuel James in Jones' Run, on the farm and near the residence of Augustus Boggess [Burgess], and was confirmed by Elder Francis G. Bishop. The Spirit of the Lord rested upon me, and I knew that He accepted of me as a member in His Kingdom. My mother was baptized on this same day. My sister Sarah, next older than me, was baptized three days previously. My father, and my two oldest sisters, Matilda and Nancy, together with their husbands, Cal John S. Martin and Josiah W. Fleming were baptized into the same church soon afterwards. My uncle, Jacob Bigler, and his family had been baptized a few weeks before. A part of my first experience as a member of the church was, that most of my young acquaintances and companions began to ridicule us. The spirit of gathering with the Saints in Missouri came upon me, and I became very anxious indeed to go there that fall with my sister Nancy and family as they had sold out and were getting ready to go. I was told I could not go. This caused me to retire to bed one night feeling very sorrowful. While pondering upon what had been said to me about not going, a voice as it were said to me, "Weep not, you will go this fall." I was satisfied and comforted. The next morning I felt so contented and happy; an observing which my sister Sarah said, "You have got over feeling badly about not going to Zion this fall have you?" I quietly, but firmly replied, "I am going. You will see."

My brother, Jacob G. Bigler, having gone to Far West, Missouri, joined the church there and bought a farm for my father, and then returned. About this time my father sold his farm in West Virginia, and fitted out my mother, my brother and sister Sarah, Melissa and myself, and we started for Far West, Missouri, in company with my two brothers-in-law and my uncle and their families. Father stayed to settle up his business intending to join us at Far West in the spring, bringing with him, by water, farming implements [and] house furniture.

On our journey, the young folk of our party had much enjoyment. It seemed so novel and romantic to travel in wagons over hill and dale, through dense forests and over extensive prairies, and occasionally passing through towns and cities, sometimes traveling on Macadamized roads and camping in tents at night. On arriving in Missouri, we found the state preparing to wage war against the Latter-day Saints, the nearer we got to our destination the more hostile the people were. As we were traveling along, members of men would sometimes gather around our wagons and stop us. They would inquire who we were, where we were from, and where we were going to. On receiving answers to their questions, they would debate among themselves whether to let us go or not; their consultation would result generally in a statement to the eff "As you are Virginians we will let you go on, but we believe you soon will return for you will quickly become convinced of your folly." 

Just before we crossed Grand River, we camped over night with a company of eastern Saints we had a meeting and rejoiced together. In the morning it was thought best for the companies to separate and cross the river at two different ferries, as this arrangement would enable all to cross in less time. Our company arrived at Far West in safety. But not so with the other company; they were overtaken at Haun's Mill by an armed mob, seventeen were killed, many others were wounded, and some of them were maimed for life.

Three nights after we had arrived at the farm which my brother had bought, and which was four miles south of the city of Far West, word came that a mob were gathering on Crooked River, and a call was made for men to go out in command of Capt. David W. Patten for the purpose of trying to stop the depredations of the mob, who were whipping and otherwise maltreating our brethren, and who were destroying and burning property. Cap. David Patten's company went, and a battle ensued. Some of the Latter-day Saints were killed, and several were wounded. I saw Bro. James Hendrik [Hendricks], one of the wounded, as he was being carried home; he was entirely helpless and nearly speechless. Soon afterwards Cap. David W. Patten, who was once one of the Twelve Apostles, was brought wounded into the house where we were. I heard him bear testimony to the truth of Mormonism. He exhorted his wife and all present to abide in the faith. His wife asked him if he had anything against her. He answered he had nothing against anyone. Elder Heber C. Kimball asked him if he would remember him when he got home. He said he would. Soon after, he died without a struggle.

In this state I saw thousands of mobbers arrayed against the Saints, and I heard their shouts and savage yells when our Prophet Joseph and his brethren were taken into their camp. I saw much, very much, of the suffering that were brought upon our people by those lawless men. The Saints were forced to sign away their property and to agree to leave the state before it was time to put in spring crops. In these distressing times, the spirit of the Lord was with us to comfort and sustain us, and we had a sure testimony that we were being persecuted for the Gospel's sake, and that the Lord was not angry with none save those who acknowledged not his hand in all things.

My father had to lose what he had paid on his farm. And in February 1838, in the depth of winter, our family and thousands of the Saints were on the way to the State of Illinois. On this journey I walked many a mile to let some poor, sick, or weary soul ride. At night we would meet around the camp fire and take pleasure in singing the songs of Zion, trusting in the Lord that all would yet be well and that zion would eventually be redeemed.

In the spring, father joined us at Quincy, Illinois. We also had the joy of having our Prophet Joseph Smith and his brethren restored to us from their imprisonment in Missouri. Many, however, had died from want and exposure during our journey. I was sick for some time with ague and fever during which time my father was taken severely sick and died after suffering seven weeks. It was the first sickness either of us had ever had.

In the spring of 1840, our family moved to Nauvoo, in Illinois. Here I continued my punctuality in attending meetings, had many opportunities of hearing Joseph Smith preach, and tried to profit by his instructions, and received many testimonies to the truth of the doctrines he taught. Meetings were held out of doors in pleasant weather and in private houses when it was unfavorable. I was present at the laying of the cornerstone of the foundation of the Nauvoo Temple, and had become acquainted with the Prophet Joseph and his family.

On the 25th of July 1841, I was married to George Albert Smith, the then youngest member of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Don Carles [Carlos] Smith officiating. My husband was born June 24th, 1817, at Potsdam, St. Lawrence County, N.Y. He was a cousin of Joseph Smith. When I became acquainted with him in Virginia in 1837, he was the junior member of the first quorum of Seventy. On the 26th day of June 1838 he was ordained a member of the High Council of Adam ondiahman [Adam-ondi-Ahman] in Daviess County Missouri; just about the break of day on the 26th of April 1839, while kneeling on the cornerstone of the foundation of the Ponds House in the city of Far West, Caldwell County, Missouri, he was ordained one of the Twelve Apostles and from thence started on a mission to Europe, from which he returned ten days before our marriage. Two days after we were married, we started, carpet-bag in hand, to go to his fathers, who lived at Zarahemla, Iowa Territory, about a mile from the Mississippi River. Walked about a mile and a half to the river side. A skiff had just been pushed off, we hailed it, the owner came back, took us in, and rowed us across the river without charge. We were met by my husband's brother, John L. Smith, with a horse and a light wagon who conveyed us to his father's. There we found a feast prepared for us, in partaking of which my husband's father, John Smith, drank our health, pronouncing the blessings of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob upon us. I did not understand the import of this blessing as well then as I do now.

I was very happy and all of our relations on both sides were well pleased with our marriage. After living at Father Smith's about a month, my husband rented a small log cabin close by and we moved into it. I had enough furniture, cooking utensils and earthenware, beds and bedding, including some nice earthenware which had been presented to my husband at the Staffordshire potteries in England while he was engaged there as a missionary. All of these blessings tending to make us very comfortable, but the house leaked and smoked and was otherwise uncomfortable. We next bought an unfinished log house, we fitted it up and built a brick chimney and that smoked. Soon after this my husband was counselled to move to Nauvoo. We did so and rented an old log house of Ebenezer Robinson which smoked and was open and cold. In a few weeks we rented a more comfortable room of Bp Unison Knight. Bro. Joseph gave us a lot, which had a small log house on it. My husband fixed up the house the best he could. But after all, it was the worst looking house we had yet lived in. I was ashamed to have any of my acquaintances see me in such a looking place. It had, however, the desirable qualities of neither smoking nor leaking.

My husband went to work with all the spare time he could get, and soon had a story and a half frame house put up, with four roomsit, two below and two above. By fencing and draining the lot, and putting much labor on it, we soon had a splendid garden with thrifty fruit trees, etc.
As the fourth of July 1842 came on Sunday, we celebrated the anniversary on Monday, the fifth. There was a military display of the Nauvoo Legion, and a sham battle formed part of the program. My husband was in the General's staff, in the uniform of a chaplain. General Smith's wife, Emma, and several other ladies rode with the staff.  I rode in a buggy, watching the proceedings of the day with the greatest interest.

At four o'clock on the morning of Wednesday the 7th of July 1842, a son was born to us. We named him George Albert. In about two months afterward, my husband started on a mission, leaving me about five pounds of flour, but with vegetables and corn growing in the garden, and a cow which supplied me with milk and butter. My brother-in-law, Caleb W. Lyons, made me a large grater and I grated the corn into meal for my bread and lived upon that until my husband was able to send me flour. He also sent me some pork, beans and wild red grapes which lasted us the winter; our garden supplying us bountifully with vegetables. He returned in about two months having preached in many of the principal towns in the State of Illinois. The winter set in early and very severely.

When on his mission in England, my husband in 1840, while preaching in London, injured his left lung, causing occasional hemorrhage. This winter, 1842-3, he took a violent cold, which, settling on his lungs, confined him to his room for some weeks.

In the Spring of 1843, Missouri renewed her wicked persecutions. Brother Joseph was arrested in Lee Coounty, Illinois, while on a visit to his wife's relations. Great efforts were made by his brethren at Nauvoo to obtain his release. At a great expense of time and means he was brought to Nauvoo and there discharged under a writ of Habeas Corpus.

In this year, 1843, my husband went East on a mission; going as far as Boston, Mass., preaching and attending conferences by the way. He returned in the fall. My son George Albert had been sick all summer, which caused me great anxiety, he was now a little better. Soon after my husband's return we were blessed by receiving our endowments and were sealed under the holy law of Celestial Marriage which was revealed July 12th, 1843. I heard the Prophet Joseph charge the Twelve with the duty and responsibility of administering the Ordinances of Endowment and of Sealing for the living and the dead. I met many times with Brother Joseph and others who had received their endowments, in company with my husband, in an upper room dedicated for that purpose and prayed with them repeatedly in those meetings.

I heard the Prophet give instructions concerning plural marriage; he counselled the sisters not to trouble themselves in consequence of it, that all would be right, and the result would be for their glond exaltation.
In the spring of 1844, a great number of the Elders went on missions. My husband started on the 5th of May, and traveled, preached and lectured in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. Soon after he left, a terrible persecution was commenced in the city of Nauvoo which brought about the barbarous murder of our beloved prophet, Joseph Smith and of his brother Hyrum, our revered patriarch. The death of these men of God caused general mourning, which cannot be described.

My husband returned about the first of August and on the 14th we had a daughter born to us and named her Bathsheba. Soon, the rest of the Twelve returned. The times were very exciting, but under the wise counsels of the Twelve, the excitement abated. The Twelve Apostles who were acknowledged as the presiding Quorum of the Church, immediately exercised all their influence to finish the Temple and the Nauvoo House agreeably to the revelation of January 19th, 1841 [D&C 124]. Not content with the cruel wrongs inflicted, our persecutors continually annoyed us, but not withstanding this, rapid progress was made on the Temple and Nauvoo House, until September 1845, when the burning of one hundred and seventy five houses belonging to our people in Hancock County, by the mob, caused the sheriff of the county, J. B. Backenstos [Jacob B. Backenstos], to issue a proclamation calling for two thousand effective men as a posse comitatus to disperse the house burners.

My husband released four hundred workmen from the Nauvoo house to compose part of this posse. The work on the [Nauvoo] Temple continued. The house burners, to avoid being arrested, left the county. Governor Thomas Ford sent General John J. Harding at the head of four hundred militia to Nauvoo; he dismissed the sheriff's posse, but the militia made no attempt to arrest the house burners. General Harding informed the Saints in Hancock County that the State could not protect them. The mob were determined to drive them from the state and therefore they must go. Previous to this, a council of the authorities of the church had passed a resolution, which, as a matter of policy, was kept private. This resolution was to send one thousand five hundred men as pioneers to make a settlement in the valley of the Great Salt Lake. This resolution was determined, and in accordance with the design and policy of the Prophet Joseph when living.

The people who had their houses burned, fled into Nauvoo for shelter. Our house was filled. The Temple was so far finished in the fall of 1845 that thousands received their endowments. I officiated for some time as Priestess.

Being thoroughly convinced, as well as my husband, that the doctrine of plurality of wives was from God, and having a fixed determination to attain to Celestial glory, I felt to embrace the whole Gospel, and that it was for my husband's exaltation that he should obey the revelation on Celestial Marriage [D&C 132], that he might attain to kingdoms, thrones, principalities and powers, firmly believing that I should participate with him in all his blessings, glory and honor.

Accordingly within the last year, like Sarah of old, I had given to my husband five wives; good, virtuous, honorable young women. This gave them all homes with us, being proud of my husband and loving him very much, knowing him to be a man of God and believing he would not love them less because he loved me more. I had joy in having a testimony that what I had done was acceptable to my Father in Heaven.

The fall of 1845 found Nauvoo as it were, one vast mechanic shop, as nearly every family was engaged in making wagons. Our parlor was used as a paint shop in which to paint wagons. All were making preparations to leave the ensuing winter. On the 9th of February 1846, in company with many others, my husband took me and my two little children and some of the other members of our family, the remainder to follow as soon as the weather would permit, and we crossed the Mississippi River to seek a home in the wilderness.

Thus we left a comfortable home, the accumulations and labor of four years, taking with us but a few things such as clothing, bedding and provisions, leaving everything else for our enemies. We were obliged to stay in camp for a few weeks on Sugar Creek because of the weather being so very cold. The Mississippi froze over so that hundreds of families crossed over on the ice.

The Utah Historical and Genealogical Magazine Volume 6 pages 145, 149
1860 US Census for SLC, Salt Lake, Utah page 23
1880 US Census for SLC, Salt Lake, Utah page 201 (age 58 - widowed)


Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868

Letters to George A. Smith. Church Archives.

Source: Letters of Bathsheba Wilson Bigler to George A. Smith, cited in Kenneth W. Godfrey, Audrey M. Godfrey, and Jill Mulvay Derr, Women's Voices (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1982).


Mr. George A. Smith Nauvoo, Illinois, October 12th, 1842

My Dear Companion,

I sit down this morning to write you a few lines--and feel thankful to my Heavenly Father that I have the privilege. We are well this morning and in midling good spirits. Some little disappointed. I had given way to a faint hope that you would return with Brother [Brigham] Young. Your father said he [thought] it was likely you would, but I was sadly disappointed when I found not a single line from you. Brother Young hallowed to me and told me you was well and if I wished to send you a line to bring it to his house this evening. Truly that much was a satisfaction to me.

George Albert was sick last Saturday and Sunday. He had quite a fever. I was very uneasy about him. I was afraid he was going to have the fever. I took him to the fount and had him baptized and since then he has not had any fever. He is about well now. Looks a little pale. I anointed him with oil a good many times and washed his little body with whiskey and water which was burning with fever but it did not do the good I wanted it should. I have written to you, this will be four times but William did not take one I wrote for him to take. Brother [George J.] Adams said he would] take one for me, but I did not much expect it would reach you there. But I have thought since it has. Whether you write or not I will be very apt to trouble you with a line every time I have the chance. I saw your father Fr They were all well. Had received a letter from you. I do not know what to write that will be the most satisfactory to you. Brother Young will tell you all that is going on.

I have got my corn and fodder secured, broom corn, [sunflower] seed and beans likewise. Melissa and me did it. Gilbert I expect will dig my potatoes. Uncle George is going to Keokuc [Iowa] to live. Brother [Wilford] Woodruff to [be], I expect my most [sociable] neighbor. Their baby has been very sick. Mary Ann has the ague [some?] since Jacob went away. Nancy's children has been sick. Thadeas is now sick. [Jeremiah] is very low with the fever. Brother Alpheas and Jesse Harmon have gone. Appleton [Harmon] intends to go tomorrow. Mother Johnson sends her best love to you. Melissa likewise, and so do I. Brother Lightle says he has bespoke a man to plaster my house and he will find lime and sand and hair. I think of getting the two rooms plastered. Brother Canada was here last [Saturday] but one. Said he would bring some wheat here and get it growned [ground] and let me have some flower. Said he would bring a half a bushel of salt and some sugar. I stay at home. Am afraid to go to meeting. Been a visiting once at mothers. I have had so many melons and my dear was not here to help eat them. Oh I am so lonesome, all alone only [except] baby. (The writer guiding the baby's hand) I is a good boy. I write to you. G. A. Smith, Jr. (I do not no whether you can read baby's writing). BWS. [on margin] Write every chance. You do not know how I want to see you.

Mr. George A. Smith, New York City, New York; Sabbath morning, Nauvoo, July 16th, 1843.

My Dear [husband], I sit down this morning to address you with a few lines and I pray my Heavenly Father that these lines may find you in good health and spirits, and likewise the rest of the brethren. My health is midling good at present. I have had a very severe cold but have got nearly over it. The baby is quite sick with a cold. He had a very hot fever last night. Father will lay hands on him as he goes to meeting. There are a great many complaining with colds. It is called the influenza. Caroline has been sick with a cold but is better now. Sister [Vilate] Kimball told me Doctor [John M.] Burnhisel was a going to New York the middle of next week. He said he would carry letters to New York for us. I have not much to write for I have not heard much since you left. It seems a long time although I think I have got along quite as well as could be expected. Your Father visits us everyday. They were all to dinner one day with me. We had a plenty beans, peas, beets, and such like things. [Oh] if you could have been here we would have been quite happy.

I wish I could have been with you and stayed until you started for it seemed such a long time until the boat came. I thought perhaps you would come home again a few minutes, but I was disappointed. I wanted to see you very much. I would have gone to you if I could. [Oh] my Dear it is nothing to cry when one feels as I did when I saw the boat going down. I was pleased to think you would not have to wait any longer, but then how could I bare to have it carry you off so rapidly from me. I watched it until I could not see it any longer then I held my head for it ached. Soon your father and mother came in. George A. cries pa. He feels bad. He wants to see you. He often goes to the door to see y. When we say where is Father, he will say a da pa. Brother [Alvin] Hor has brought me a load of wood. Everything has passed on smoothly since you left as yet. I want to hear from you very much. Trust I may soon. I will close for the present.

Sabbath morning, July the 23--Dearest Albert, as Doctor Burnhisel has not gone as yet I again have the privilege of writing to you this morning. My health and spirits are good. George A. has had the measles in addition to his cold and cutting teeth. He has been quite sick but is getting well fast. He begins to play and crawl about again. I expect he was exposed to the measles on the fourth of July. I have not went to meeting since you left but stay at home. Sickness has kept me, if nothing else, but I think home is the best place for me, this hot weather. Joseph [Smith] preached last Sunday. I should liked to have been there very much. He preaches again today.

Brother Far gave me a letter you sent me last Friday. He said you were all in good spirits. I shall not attempt to express the joy that I felt when he gave it to me. When I read you had been sick, I felt very bad for I feared you had not got over it yet or you might take cold again. I expect it was the influenza the same I had. I began to be sick the day you left, Saturday, Sunday and Monday I was quite sick, but thank the lord I am well again as usual, and think my baby will be soon. I hope and pray you are well by this time. I should be pleased to spend this afternoon with you. It seems to me I could not wish to enjoy myself better than to sit under the sound of your rich and lovely voice and hear you unfold the rich treasure of your mind. Even the sound of your footstep would music in my ear. I almost forget I am alone, whilst I fancy to myself how happy I should be. The baby is waking. I must quit writing for the present.

Wednesday, July 26th.

Dearest George A., I am well and in good spirits but want to see you very much. I cannot help liking to see the time roll away. Little George Albert is nearly well. Has three more teeth. Sister Ridge and Barton are both dead, died in Fortmaddison [Iowa]. Our folks have had a letter from Jacob [G. Bigler]. He writes he has gained the lawsuit. Their is no telling when he will] get the money, for the land will have to be sold perhaps on six or twelve months credit. Our garden stands the drought as well as any ones I have seen. We have had two or three small rains since you left. Our well holds out first rate. All the neighbor's come here for water. I saw Sister [Phebe] Woodruff yesterday. She said she would write by mail for Dr. Bernhisel kept putting off starting so much. I think he will go soon. She said she would write some for me so that would answer without me writing by mail.

August 11th, 1843. Tuesday morning.

Dearest, G. A. we are all well this morning with the exception of Melissa. She has the measles but is getting better. I received your very kind letter yesterday. I was very happy to hear you were well and in good spirits. Amasa Lyman is sick. Your father's about like you was last winter. John is a going to school. They are all well. They are all very kind to me. I feel in good spirits. Think it will not be long until I see you. I think I shall be able to get the house plastered soon. Dr. Barnhisel has given up going for a while yet so I will send it by mail. He has disappointed us all very much. We will try to be good children whilst you are gone. G. A. can go up stairs alone, but cannot walk quite yet. Yesterday I received a skein of yarn sent to you by Rosell H. Smith, Brown County, Illinois. Your father says it is your cousin. Doctor [Levi] Richards was here yesterday. Says tell you we are all alive in Nauvoo only [except] those that are dead. He said tell you he had been hear, then he laughed. I think he [thought] of what he said to you. Remain as ever yours sincerely B. W. Smith.

Mr. George A. Smith, Boston, Massachusetts., Nauvoo, September [12th], 1843.

Dear Husband, I sit down to write to you again to inform you that we are all well at present and in first rate spirits. I received a letter from you yesterday, you wrote me in Philadelphia which gave me great satisfaction, for a line from you is the sweetest morsel I can possibly get. I should like to have been with you and have seen the things you wrote about much, but I feel like I should be satisfied if I could see you without seeing anymore. The time rolls away tolerable swiftly. I hope it is half gone. My prayer is that you may get home before cold weather sits in.

We got the letter you sent to President [Sidney] Rigdon last Sunday which we was much pleased to get. When I get a letter first all the rest come to hear it. The brethren's wives have all been to see me this week. They are all well. I do not think there is much sickness. There is not in our neighborhood. We have had several good rains or midling goodrains. I think our garden will be tolerable good. Our potatoes are poor. Vines are quite good. We begin to have plenty of melons which make many hearts rejoice and ours are made glad. We have a plenty of tomatoes. George Albert feasts on tomatoes and melons. He begins to walk and talk. I think I shall wean him before you get home. He has had the bowel and cankel complaint very bad but is well now. I think it hindered his walking. He has only six teeth as yet.

Our well is dry. We have to go to the Bishop's for the last few days. Our cow does midling well. She does not go in the [drove] for she cannot get anymore on the prairie than she can get at home. She comes home every night very well. With your father's [and] others help I shall be enabled to get our house plastered next week. Expect I have got it lathed upstairs with the exceptions of the largest room overhead. I got 10 bushel of lyme of [William?] Nyswanger and Uncle [Isaac] Morley got sand and made the morter yesterday. I had money to get hair and nails with the exceptions of one pickoon [picayune] which Melissa let me have. Josiah let me have fifty feet of lumber and Amos did the carpenter work. Brother Moss is sick. He cannot plaster the house. Brother [Samuel] Flag says he will. Ickabad got me a gallon of whiskey for pickles. My cowcumbers do well. He said he would get some flower and honey and candles as he could as well as not, but has not as yet. I am about out of flower now. Father has brought nearly one bushel of [meal] since you left. Have plenty as yet. Caleb promised to bring me home the flower he borrowed this week. I think there is not any danger but I shall get along.

Father and I thought perhaps you would get this before you left Boston and if not no harm done. I have had a fine ride in Joseph's big carriage. Went six or [eight] miles out. Amasa Lyman and family are at your Fathers. Have been there two or three weeks. Amasa was very sick but is so as to ride out now. His wife has the ague and fever. The children have had it but are well now I believe. Perhaps your father will want to write some. Mr. Brown and Melissa talk so fast and so much it bothers me to write. You must excuse this and look over all my imperfection. I am as ever yours in time and for eternity. Bathsheba W. Smith.

[There follows a short note to George A. Smith from his father, John Smith.]

[The following letter is from the Gearge A. Smith (1834-1875) papers, Church History Library, Box 9, folder 12.]

Nauvoo Sept 14th 1843

Dear Husband I sit my self down this morning to address you with a few lines in answer to your vary kind and welcom letter, which I received last wedensday, when I take this letter to the office this evening I will some expect to get another one from you my Dear, we are all well and in good spirits, thinking evry [h]our that passes a way brings the time nearer when we will meet again, but for how long a tim you will have the privalage of staying at home we do not know. I should be one of the happyest of women if you could stay at home. I am any how, but should be more happy if you could be with me, but I feel thankfull that I am worthy of such a Husban that can do so much good as you are capable of doing. I am thankfull that you are willing to help roole [role] on the kingdom of god and hasten the day, when pease will cover the earth----

Sister Kimball has just been in says give her best love to her Husband and says tell him they are all well and in good spirits says she mailed a full sheet last sunday for Pittsburg she put a few words in it for me she sends her love to you, Sister Nixon is here she send her love ot you, a week ago last sunday I wrote to you to Utica, we thought it not worth while to write to Buffalo.

I am vary thankfull that you have got a long so comfortable on your mishion and have had your health as will as you have I am sorrow to hear you have ever been sick one moment sinse you left but my constant prayers is that we may all meet a gain in health and pease, that we may enjoy each others componey a again and thank and prayse our heavenly Father.

Father is a going to move to Ramos or Massadonia this fall Joseph says in the name of the [Lord] he must go or it is best to preside of the Church, Father toald him he was willing to allways to obey council Joseph and Father is a going out there this week I believe they are middling willing to go they think they will get a long, better, but hat to leave Nauvoo

I was at meeting last sabbath heard elder Babbot preach in the forenoon and afternoon a unitarian after he got through Joseph spoke, we had quite an interesting time I should have been pleased if you could have been there, Joseph has moved in his new house is keeping tavern. Sister Emma has been sick is better now, Sarah calls here baby Amanda she is tolerable well, the breathrens wives and famaleys are well the last I heard Sister Pratt was her Sunday says she has not had a letter for a long time she feeles quite bad, I do not [k]now of any one being sick to tell you of Amasa is getting well fast and family likewise, George Albert is well is walking all about the floor I have been asking him what to write for him but he does not talke plain enough for me to understand, he is a good boy I think of weaning him before you come home, our cow did not come home last night or this morning, it is the first time she has staid out[.] our garden dose pretty well we have had a good rain since Sunday it is nearly clear now, is quite warm, now water in our well as yet, we have had a good many mellens nearley gone now I d not know much to write you must excuse This I will close and lett Melissa write some. I am as ever your affectionate wife. B. W. Smith G. A. Smith

Mr. George A. Smith, Boston, Massachusetts., Nauvoo, June 15th, 1844.

Dear Husband, I again take my pen to inform you we are well, and most earnestly desire this letter may find you so. We are just done mopping and cleaning the house. Melissa has made or fixed three fine flower pots. We have got some new window curtains. We are a going to have a good dinner. We have some apples a stewing for pies. Sister [Catherine] Clawson has just sent word for us to not get dinner, for she would send us some roasted veal. Oh how I wish you could take dinner and chat an hour or two with us at least. We have been to the post office again and again but cannot get one word from you. How I do wish I did know you were well. I think I will get a letter tomorrow. I expected one certain last Wednesday. I sent but no letter. I thought you must be sick or you would have written, for I have been uneasy about you for you had to ride in the rain so much. At last I thought perhaps you had written to your father and thought he would send it to me if you were scarce of money, but the roads have been so bad, the bridges are most all washed away that it is all most impossible to go to or come from Messedonia [Macedonia] here. Or perhaps the roads are bad [other] places so that the mail might be hindered. I flatter myself with these and other things that you are well and so I [thought] I would write to Boston and perhaps you would get it.

Uncle Asel Smith has been here and ate dinner with us. He says his family are well. He said he was much pleased to see us so well, and getting along so well. I have not heard from father's for some time. They were well the last I heard. Father sent me a quarter of a dollar he got for your books. George has gone to sleep and now I can finish my letter. He is quite well. Can walk nicely, begins to talk considerably, begins to look healthy, eats hearty, laugh's a good deal, is not half so much trouble stands on his stool to eat, has a plate to himself. Will not sleep with me more than half the time. Some time he will come in the bed an hour or two and be satisfied, but if I take him to bed with me it is against his will. So much for George. He often talks about you. I think he will not forget you. We have had a great deal of rain since you left. Almost everyday for seven weeks it has rained, a great many hard rains. Our cellar has water a considerable here than the offset or the highest part. The well is very full likewise. We have had the garden plowed. It looks very well but would [do] better if it did not rain so much. The worms trouble all the neighbor's gardens, but have not mine but little. A great many people have had more or less out of our garden such as lettuce, onions, radishes and greens. Indeed I do not know what they would have done if it were not for us. But to get anyone to work in it is like pulling eye teeth. Our early potatoes are getting quite large. The corn is in tossel. Cabbage looks well. Vines rather poor. Tomatoes in blow. Beets quite large. Will soon have peas. A good many of our flowers are in blossom. Our cow has had the hollow horn. I believe she is well now. I have sold six pounds of butter since you left.

Their has been some excitement in town, but I do not feel alarmed. The lawites [William and Wilson Law and their associates] had got their printing press a going. Had printed one paper [Nauvoo Expositor], and a scandalous thing it was. The City Council examined its lease and found it a nuisance so the [authorities] went and burned and destroyed the press. This made the Lawites mad. They tried to get a mob but failed. Joseph and those that were concerned in it have been tried but were cleared. The Laws and a good many have gone and are going off.

I have not been to meeting since you left on the hill. I have been twice down to the meeting in Joseph's storehouse. I do not go anywhere much. My health has been quite good ever since you left. I enjoy myself pretty well. Would better if I could hear from you oftener. I received to [two] letters dated May 13th and a few lines May 21st. I have written three times. I do not know whether Sister Woodruff will write or not. I saw her this morning. She was well. I hope I will see you in two months from this day the Lord willing. Be of good cheer and come home when you think best. You may be sure I will be pleased, let that be when it will. May the Lord bless you and bring you home safe in health and prosperity. I remain yours affectionately. BWS [This follows a short note by Melissa Bigler]

Sister [Phebe] Woodruff has not received any word from [Brother Woodruff] since the 21st of May. She and I see each other and counsel about writing and wonder why we cannot get a letter. Give my love to Sister Lloyd. Tell her I would be pleased to see her. We have had rain everyday this week and I believe it will continue longer by the looks of the time. B. W. Smith.

[There follows a note from Phebe to Wilford Woodruff]

Mr. George A. Smith, Newark, Kendall County, Illinois, July 6th, 1844.

My Dear Husband, I sit down this morning to let you know we are all well, and in as good spirits as could be expected considering all things. We have strange times since you left. You will no doubt hear before this reaches you, of the death of our beloved Brethren Joseph and Hyrum Smith. They were killed at Carthage on the 27th of June and on 28th they were brought home and such a day of mourning never was seen. It pains me to write such a painful tale, but the Lord has comforted our hearts in a measure. The Governor [Thomas Ford] begins to open his eyes. He says we are a law abiding people and he has pledged himself and the faith of the state that he will protect us. The mob has tried to get the governor to get force to exterminate or drive the Mormons but he refuses. We feel as though he would try to redeem his character. Brother [John] Taylor was wounded but is getting better, is quite weak but quite cheerful. Brother [Willard] Richards was not hurt. They were both in jail at the time of the massacre. I will not write any more on that subject as I expect you will hear all the particulars before this reaches [you]. I received a letter on Thursday from you dated June 14th and this morning your father sent me two letters from you one dated June the 14 and one dated June 21. I cannot express my joy on receiving these letters. I was pleased to hear you was so well and got along so well and had turned torg [toward] home. I was sorrow to hear you had not heard from home. I have written this makes five times since you left and I write thinking probably you will not get this. You, and the rest of the Twelve are sent for. I expect you will get hear about the same time the rest will. They were sent for to come home as soon as possible.

Brother Adams has gone to Boston and [Jedediah] M. Grant to Washington. Joseph told Adamson margin to go and tell the Twelve to come home when the tragedy was over and a good many more things, which he should preach on Sunday before he was killed, but the people did not understand it. Adams said he was a going to speak in parable. I have understood he said he did not understand all himself but it is explained now. I want you to take good care of yourself and not let the mobbers get you. I shall pray for you much. I have not really wished you here since our troubles but I cannot say I have not wished myself with you. A great many [old] women expected our city to have been in ashes before this time but I have not been bad enough scared to make me tremble, though I have had some bad feelings.

George A. is well as usual, has the bowel complaint some but much better in health than he was when you left. He has been sick once or twice but generally tolerable well. I think he will know you when you get home. We get along very well. I have my health very good. Our garden looks quite as well as anyone's I have seen. We have had potatoes three or four weeks. We have had several messes of boiled corn. Our peas are about write to eat. Wish you was here to help eat them. You must excuse this letter for we have had everything you could think of talked about since the flood and the worst pen I ever tried to write with by all odds. Sarah and her children are here and others have been here since I commenced to write. Your father came out and [family] last Friday. Stayed until Monday. They were all well. Thought all would come out right at last.

Jacob [Bigler] and Jesse came home in a week or to after you left. Brought some dried apples but not any money. I got one bushel of him. We have a plenty to eat. Do not be uneasy about us but come home as soon as you can and see how we get along. Oh my dear I do want to see you come home. I pray the Lord to bring you home safe. Jacob was married in four weeks after he came home to Miss Ama [Amy Loretta] Chases of Nauvoo. I have written everything up to the war in my letters to you. I received the five dollar note you enclosed in your last. I will put this in the office and wish it may reach you. You are excusable for not writing oftener. I did not think it was your fault, but I thought on account of the rain or the mob for the mail did not come in regular. Four mails come in this week. The cause of this I have [not] learned. I have sent twice a week to the office almost ever since you left. Tell the good folk to send you home as soon as possible.

Sarah and Melissa sends their love to you. I will close by saying may the Lord bless you with food and raiment and with health and friends and preserve you from all evil and the hand of wicked men. I remain as ever yours for time and eternity.


Bathsheba W. Smith.
Source of Trail Excerpt:
Smith, Bathsheba Wilson Bigler, Journal, 1849 Jun-Oct, 23 p.

Read Trail Excerpt:
[July] Eleventh we got across the river[.] 11 we got all the wagon across the river next day
12 finished gitting the Cattle and horses across[.] went out a mile or so and camped

13 Mr Smith went to Kainsville [Kanesville.] the weather vary [very] warm[.] the Printers say it was the warmest weather they ever saw[.] the rooler in the office melted down

14 went a bout six miles

15 traveled to the [Elk] Horn monday

16 washed and baked[.] the Brethren held a meeting[.] partly organized

17 crossed the [Elk] Horn[.] 18 traveled a mile or two and camped for the night about Ten O clock[.] the Cattle in Caption [Dan] Joneses Carell [corral] took affright and broke through[,] rushed through a mond [among] our Cattle and alarmed them and all ran off[.] we had a regular stampeed the Cattle runing in every direction and the Breathren after them screaming for help or we would loose [lose] all of our Cattle and hollowing [hollering] wac wac [sic] [--] it was quite laughable but vary frightfull to see the boys runn and scream but they got all the Cattle that night and next morning some of them hurt the guard[.] all escaped unhurt though some were runn over

19 traveled 11 miles[.] camped near the liberty Pol [.] the Breathren held a meeting and organized[.] 21 we sent this day we camp with the Welch

20 traveled 13 miles[.] camped again on the Pla[tte]

21 rainy morning[.] traveled 10 miles[.] camped on shell creek[.] Bro. bentsons [Ezra T. Benson's] Cattle had a regula[r] stampeed that night

22 it rained all the foornoon[.] had meeting in the afternoon[.] Bro Bentsons catt[l]e had another spree a bout bedtime

23 they had another run a way in the morning[.] traveled about thirteen miles

24 traveld a bout eleven miles

5 travled a bout twelve miles[.] camped this [side] of looking glass creek on the prarie with out wood or water late in the evening

26 traveld ten or twelve miles[.] camped on Plumb creek

27 traveled about nine or ten miles[.] Loop [Loup] fork river[.] passed the Ponce [Pawnee] village[.] 28 traveled about miles to another Ponee village near the river forded it without any serious damage

29 we washed and had meeting in the foornon [forenoon] and in the afternoon traveled a bout six miles and found the old road we having crossed down the river below whare the old ford formaly [formerly] was travled about nineteen miles[.] weat [wet] ground for a few miles before we stooped [stopped.] Mr. Smith drove his [-] team to day and had William Hamlon [Hamblin] go out a hunting[.] he brought in a yo[u]ng antelope

we leave camp and the first thing is to cross Snare Creek which is bad[.] the three are all here which makes it bad[.] Richards[,] Bentsons and ours besides some traders

August the second 2 traveled a bout twelve miles[.] camped on Woodrive [Wood River]

3 traveled a bout 18 this day[.] 4 traveled about 12 twelve miles[.] passed Bro Gul[l]eys grave[.] had aplenty of water but no timber

4 traveled a bout twelve miles[.] camped on the Platt[e] nere the deep ravien [ravine.] Staid [stayed] over

Sunday 5 held meeting had a good time

Monday 6 traveled a bout twelve miles[.] camped on Elm Creek[.] their was two Indians [text obliterated] the carill [corral] to guard them. they had to run[.] [bottom of page torn off]

7 traveled nine miles[.] camped in the prarie[.] carried wood with us

8 traveled 9 miles camped at no[o]n for dinner on the Platte river[.] two hundred and forty four and a half milis from winter quarte[r]s[.] all in good health[.] I believe no deaths occured on the journey as yet or no serious axident as yet with man or beast with the exception of two sheap an[d] one ox [.] we traveled 14 miles this day 9 traveled 12 miles this day[.] I had one of my Ducks killed at noon, some of our men went out yesterday a hunting[.] killed a buffaloo and an Antelope[.] staid out all night[.] Met us in the morning[.] got a wakon [wagon] and team to bring the meat to camp but when ther [they] got where it was left it was gone [.] the woulves had run a way with it but Hanlon [William Hamblin] killed a Antelope and brought in so we had a vary good supper considering we have but little wood with the exception of a few poor Buffaloo chips

August 10 traveled 11 miles this foor noon[.] took dinner on the platt[e] a gain[.] traveled a bout three miles[.] camped early on account of the rain[.] it rained a bout seven Ours [hours] vary hard[.] never heard saw it rain harder[.] we a rose in the morning all safe[.] had a vary bright warm day

11 travel three or four miles camped to wash and bake

staid over Sunday the 12[.] Bro Bentson [Benson] was sick[.] had a good meeting

Monday 13 traveled a bout six miles in the after noon[.] did not travel in the foornoon on account of Bro Bentson beeing so vary sick[.] we have had three antelope but not any Buffaloo as yet

14 stay in camp waiting for Bro Bentsons Co and the Wealch are a blacksmithing[.] our boys have been a out getting Cherris[.] they are vary beautifull[.] their are a great many on the sand hills a bout here growing only a few inches high

15 traveled about four miles it being a bout the last timber[.] we stoped to wash and bake

16 and seventeenth[.] maid short drives on account of Bro Bentsons sickness

18 maid quite a days drive[.] camped on the river[.] it commenced raining before dark quite hard, Mr. Smith stood guard untill half past twelve Oclock[.] in the mean time it thundred lightned rained and hailed[.] it cept [kept] up raining untill after midnight[.] some of the time it hailed vary hard and the hale stones ware as large as wallnuts with the Hull on[.] one, struck my husban[d] on his head and nearly nocked him down, he could not flee from the enemys half pounder on account of the horses[.] they ware so pelted with the rain and hail that he could not keep them quiet, some of them broke their Larietts [lariats] all[.] the loose cattle started off, but Cattle horses and all ware soon recovered and quieted[.] but the rain a pore [poured] down in torents for the most part of the night[.] in the morning all was fine and pleasant[.] we traveled on 4 miles and camped[.] held a prayer meeting in behalf of Bro Bentson who was vary sick[.] had a good meeting

20 traveled about fifteen over sand bluffs[.] had a hard days journey saw a great many Buffaloo on the other side of the river just before we stooped[.] we saw a large hard of cattle on this side of the river about two miles off but we had hunters out in another dyrection and didnt try to get any of them[.] the Hunters brough[t] in Anteloope

21 about 4 O clock Mr[.] [Almon W.] Babbit arived in camp with the Mail from the Valley[.] we ware hi[gh]ly pleased to see him come[.] we got good news from the Valley[.] Croops [crops] ware doing well[.] health of the People was fine, evry thing prospiring, Bro Babbit read the public doccumints to us in the foor non [forenoon] and read a peace that was written for the Guardian which was vary interesting[,] and in the after noon addressed us on the subject of organizing a state in the mountains whare the Saints may live in peace under the Laws of the constitution of the United states as ther religeius [religion.] we wrote some letters to send to Kanes Ville [Kanesville]

22 traveled 14 miles[.] the William H[amblin] brought in a Deare [deer] just at dark[.] afine Day

23 traveled a bout thirteen miles over some vary bad sand hills[.] Peter got pritty badly hurt with the oxon runing and drawing the chain around him and kicking him[.] hope he will be well soon[.] I have had the Toothe ache ever since the hail storm by getting some wet,

24 traveled 10 miles[.] pritty good roads[.] wrote some letters to the Valley[.] my husband [George Albert Smith] vary buisy writing and preparing the express to send on to the Valley[.] Robert Campbell who returned with Babbat [Babbit] as far as to our camp returns to the Valley with two other Breathren Joseph Patton and Bro Eleat[sic] Babbit got me some Cherries from holler [Ash Hollow] to day[.] ther start today[.] it rained at night

25 traveled 15 miles[.] it rained a gain in the after noon a bout Camping time

26 Sunday morning[.] Robert Campbell[,] Ellett and Capt [William] Patton left us with mail for the Valley[.] traveled about 10 miles[.] saw Indians on the other side of the river they came over w[h]ere we camped [and] traded[.] some hindered us from having meeting[.] the day tolerable cool in the foornoon

27 the day warm[.] trave[led] over some Sandy road but generley dects [descent] roads[.] traveled 15 miles[.] feed rather poor

28 traveled 13 miles over sandy roads[.] feed poor[.] the day vary warm untill towards evening when the wind commenced blowing quite cool[.] continued cool all night

29 coald morning[.] commenced raining about 7 Oclock[.] continued an hour then ceased but cept vary coald[.] rained again bout one Oclock in the after noon[.] [.] continued coald all day[.] we traveled about ten or twelve 10 [or] 12 miles[.] passed a peice of a bluff called a Court House[.] vary singular indeed[.] camped at night at a lake that was vary strong thit [thick] Saleratis [Saleratus]

30 coald frosty morning but warm and pleasant in the middle of the day[.] we passed chimney Rock at noon which has a vary strange appearance standing a short distance from the end of a huge bluff mesuring one hundred and fifty feet high[.] traveled 17 miles[.] had good feed at night

31 Hamalen [Hamlin] killed a Buffaloo traveled 12 miles vary plasand day but vary dusty

September 1th 1849 traveled 14 miles[.] roads dusty[.] two or three men got so far out of the way, that they had to take a good Church malling at night[.] Hamlen brought in a Antelop[.] I am half sick

September 2d Sabbath morning[.] all well[.] a pleasan[t] day[.] held a meeting in the foor noon[.] My husband preached an excelant discource advising the Saints how to walk that they may draw down the blessings of heaven[,] advising those that had sinned to be baptised imediatly after meeting[.] others spake vary pritty on the ocasion[.] acordingly after meeting ther ware several baptised and also in the Evening seventeen more ware Baptised[.] we traveled th[r]ee or four miles in the after noon since last Sunday we have traveled 93 miles.

September 3d traveled three miles and crossed the Platt[e]. we are now 495 or six miles from Winter Quarters[.] traveled a bout six miles in the after noon[.] came to a large Indian Village whare thare [were] some traders located[,] building some houses[,] preparing to sittle[.] staid all night neare the Village[.] started early in the morning

before brakefast[.] traveled four miles[.] Wednesday 5 we passed Fort Laramie[.] traveled 16 miles[.] camped on a vary sandy spot of groung [ground] covered with Prickly Pares[.] Sister Jones rode with me in the after noon[.] feed poor had to drive the Cattle a cross the river and heard them all night

thirsday [6] traveled 11 miles over the black Hills[.] feed poor[.] Mr[.] Smith out late with the horses

friday 7th traveled 12 miles[.] roads bad[.] feed poor but wood good

8 Journ[ey]ed 10 miles mostly over hills[.] nooned near Bro. Richards Co[.] feed poor with the exceptions of a small spot of green grass[.] Mr. Smith buisy hearding the horses[.] the Breathren vary uneasy a bout an auld man who has not arived in Camp

9, Journed three miles only on a count of Bro Davis not beeing found[.] hunted all night nearley, and a half a day[.] at last found him a bout 5 miles a head[.] Bro [Silas] Richards passed us in this morning[.] we had a good meeting in the evening[.] the Breathren confessed their fa[u]lts one to another and all wint to bead satisfied[,] I believe

11 traviled a bout ten or twelve miles[.] the first thing when we started one of our boys ran over Sister Davis Carriage wheel and brok[e] the exeltree [axeltree][.] that hindered us som tim[e][.] we passed a bluff whare the river ran through it or rather under it[.] we have some strange looking hills an[d] mountains since we came to Laramie[.] the Black hills are vary strange and Lonely looking[.] many Bear are in them and other wild Anamels [animals] yesterday[.] My husband saw sign of a great many Bear while he was hearding his horses in a bottom a mile from whare we ware Camped[.] it rained this afternoon and we have to Camp in the rain[.] seased raining a bit [toward] dark and rained but little more that evening[.] found tolerable good feed at night[.] 11 traveled 5 miles to day over barren plains[.] saw some roughf and mountainous hills[.] allso traveled some roughf roads[.] found a small spot of grass which supplied the horses in the Carell I believe[.] we crossed the river to day

12 traveled 13 miles[.] the Country barren[.] the roads brought came to the river[.] found a good place for the Cattle[.] washed[,] baked Black Smithed[,] hunted[,] killed two [-] and three Buffaloo

on the 13 a beautifull Camping place under some trees near the river[.] all felt to stay one day[.] every thing was so handy, wood[,] water[,] Stone Coal and a good shady, grassy place to work in

14 traveled a bout 10 miles[.] camped on the river a short distance from the road[.] scarsely any grass atall

15 traveled 10 miles[.] left the Black hills to day[.] camp whare the Gold-diggers have camped and tore up waggons and left a good many things in the river[.] Lucy[,] Hannah and I was baptised in the river near whar[e] we ware camped[.] a beautifull place[.] it rained just before dark a little

Sunday 16 traveled 10 miles[.] past one grave some place whar the alkali was pritty thick[.] our hunters came in the morning[.] had killed two Antelope[,] one Deare and hung them up in a tree[.] we go[t] them as we pas[s]ed[.] camped whare we had good feed by going a cross the river[.] a nice camping place[.] we got a letter from Cambbell [Campbell] say[ing] they ware well and left Deere Creek on the third of September[.] we crossed Deere Creek a bout noon

September 17 traveled 14 miles[.] pritty good roads[.] had quite a dusty time in the after noon[.] it rained a few drops[.] passed a grave[.] our hunters are out[.] hope they will be in with a nice loot [lot] of game[.] our folks had a letter from Taylors Co.[.] they say all are well and doing well. we camped in a pleasant place by the side of the river but the feed is poor[.] Jude Apleys daughter was runn over by a waggon but not badly hurt[.] we camped near Bro[.] [Ezra T.] Bentsons [Benson's Co.[.] my husband and I went to see them. Bro Bentson had my husband Preach to them in the evening[.] all tolerable well[.] I am not vary well but hope to bee

18 we leave Bro[.] Bentsons Co and traveled 8 miles over mountains and hills[.] broke down one waggon but soon mended it a gain[.] a heavy loaded waggon ran over Captan [Gashum C.] Case'es Daughter[.] hurt her badly but not break any bones broke[.] [.] I feel better to day

19 we camped at the willow springs some time after dark[.] good water but feed[.] the Cattle scattring in every direction. a long days drive and the Cattle hungry and tired

September 20 traveled 12 miles[.] camped two miles from the road[.] we have been two days without feed but got to good feed and we are vary thankfull[.] lost one ox yesterday out of one Co

21 traveled three miles[.] camped with Pres Richards[.] maid a large carell[.] held a meeting at one O clock[.] just as we had geathred [gathered] at for to hear the preaching[,] two breathren rode up just from the Valley they with good news and one hundred teams for to help us on[.] we had a good meeting[.] after the meeting was over we had a short intermistion [intermission] and then dancing commenced and cept [kept] up untill about nine O clock when the Welch Breathren and Sisters entertained us with a few songs which ware sung beautifully[.] after som[e] of our soldes [soldiers] sang two songs which ware composed whil[e] they ware in the serves [service] of the United States which ware vary interesting[.] after some Comic Songs ware sung closed with the Lear sung by C[aleb]. Parry[.] prayer Bro [Isaac or William] Clark

22 washed and Baked, the breathren went out to meet Bro Bentson [Benson] with a number [of] teams[.] all Camp[ed] near each other[.] held a meeting at night

23 divided one [of] the waggons and teams and travel[ed] on[.] Camped at Indipendeance [Independence] Rock[.] Mr[.] Smith and the breathren buisy Making out their writings for the Valley

24 finished making out their papers[.] Bro. Fulmer and Bro Young leave for the Valley this morning[.] the men cannot find their oxon[.] 20 or 30 of them are lost[.] we stay all[.] a number ware brought in in the course of the day and evening and twelve head are have gone back a good distance[.] after dark 4 of the Breathren started after them[.] we expect the oxon are one night and day a head of them[.] about 10 O'clock the Cattle took affright and came vary near having a stampeed[.] they ware yoked up and tied for the night

25 we traveled 8 miles[.] camped[.] had good feed[.] passed the devels [Devil's] gate and some strange looking mountains[.] had pritty good roads


27 had tolerable good feed[.] traveled not vary long days drive[.] traveled over muddy roads[.] Bookwood sho[w]ed us a better way in the afternoon[.] camped at night by the side of the river[.] feed poor

28 traveled three miles[.] stooped and baked and washed[.] I am quite tired out go to sick and nearley discouraged

Saturday 29 traveled these miles Eleven miles

Sunday 30 traveled 18 miles[.] a bout 11 O clock[.] our boys got back with all of our Cattle and one picked up that had tired out belonging to some other Company[.] they had gone back eighty five miles[.] it snowed this afternoon fore noon and was coald

Oct the first[.] traveled 10 miles[.] camped on the river[.] had pritty good feed.

Oct 2nd traveled 12 miles[.] snow in the after noon[.] coald camping[.] snowing [-] quite hard[.] Mr. Smith is not hear and I feel quite bad[.] do not know whare he is wheather he is left behind or wheather he has gone a head with Bro Richards on Bentsons Co[.] they ware not vary far a head[.] some of the teams this after noon[.] hope he is safe[.] he arived safe in camp[.] he had walked all day behind the Co[.] is quite tired[.] Camped all in confusion[.] the waggons hilter selter [helter skelter] just as we could

Oct 3th it has snowed all and still continues to snow and blow[.] the snow is all in hanks [sic] about the Waggons[.] a bout nine O clock Thomas brought me som[e] coals in a pot which maid the waggon quite warm for awhile[.] I got up and dressed me[.] the boys gotmaid me us some coffee[.] Mr[.] Smith[,] the children and myself drank some[.] Mr Smith could not cut any bread[.] he was not well[.] we laid a bead [bed] all day untill [al]most night[.] the boys maid some pancakes which we ate[.] the Children and my self had good appetites[.] Mr[.] Smith could not eat, it still continued to snow and blow and was vary coald, the Cattle some of them ware near by in some willows[.] the rest of them had gone off to hunt beter quarters, all quite cheerfull but filt vary bad espeshilly [especially] for the Cattle[.] several Welch familys ware camped behind our waggon and they laughfed and talked so much after night that it maid me quite nerverous[.] snowed all night but ceased blowing so hard towards morning for which we ware vary thankfull, the snow was about 14 inches deep on the level[.] it was vary greveous to heare the Children cry[.] the Ox law [low][,] the Cow ball [bawl,] the sheep bl[e]at[,] the pig squell [squeal][,] the duck quack[,] the cheap [cheep] and we couldnot tell them the cause why they had to suffer thus, the place whare we camped we had no wood but the roots of some willows whare the emegrants had cutt of[f] the willows

thursday the fourth[.] it ceased snowing a bout ten O clock[.] a bout 30 men went out in search of the Cattle[.] after searching found a bout one qua[r]ter a bout a mile down the Creek[.] nine reported dead and the rest about six miles on the Sweet water whare they had faired pritty well[.] two horses died belonging to Bro. Simens [William B. Simmons], still continued coald and cloudy[.] the night vary coald

Oct 5 cloudy but more mild[.] the Breathren go out to bring the cattle in got them [in] about one O clock[.] the sun shone out in the middle of the day[.] quite warm[.] traveled about five mile[s][.] turned off of the road to find feed on the willow Creek near the Sweet water[.] it was perfectly amusing to see the Cattle eat the grass whare the ground was bare a good part of the gre[e]ning being bare whare we camped

Oct 6th traveled 5 miles[.] camped a off of the road[.] had good feed[.] had the coaldest night[.] last night we have had vary still and coald[.] sun came out this morning[.] a pritty but did not get vary warm[.] we melt snow to night to cook with use[.] sage brush to burn[.] William brought in a Antelope after we Camped for which we ware thankfull[.] the snow is disappearing

7th Sunday we went through the south pass[.] went down several hundred miles feet[.] traveled a bout 15 miles[.] camped one mile off of the road[.] had good feed for the Cattle but vary poor Sage wood to burn so traveled 7 miles[,] camped on dry Sandy[.] 2 hundred and 18 miles from the Salt Lake City[.] had good feed one mile and a half from camp[.] the snow dissapeared allmost yesterday[.] the toops of the mountains are white[.] the weather is fine

9th traveled 13 miles[.] camped on little sandy[.] pritty good roads[,] sand some of the way[.] snowed some this Morning

10 traveled six miles[.] camped in Big Sandy[.] grass tolerable good

11th camped on Big Sandy[.] traveled 12 miles[.]

12th traveled 15 miles[.] rained and snowed a little in the foornoon[.] camped on Green River with richards Co[.] Mr[.] Smith Preached to them in the evening in front of our waggons be fore a large fire[.] had a good time[.] we also camped last night with them

satterday [Saturday] 13th traveled six miles[.] camped in Co with Bro [Silas] Richards Co. on Green River[.] the wind blows coald in the after noon but went down after dark and began to snow[.] pritty good feed for the Cattle[.] one of our oxon died last night with the bluddy murrain

13 traveled 6 miles over rough roads[.] camped on Green River[.]

Sunday 14 traveled 15 miles[.] had good feed

Monday 16 traveled 6 miles[.] camped on home [Ham's] fork among the willows[.] Richards have gon[e] all but one ten[.] had good feed[.] I washed some

17 traveled 14 miles[.] feed good

18 traveled 17 miles[.] we had the Welch come and sing for us[.] had a fine lot of sage to burn

19 traveled 15 miles[.] camped near Fort Bridgeer[.] Bro Bentson [Benson] and Richards Co left here this afternoon[.] we can see the snow on the mountains again this evening but the weather is fine here whare we are Camped[.] the wind rather sharp[.] looks rather cloudy some like snow[.] our hunters have gone out to try to get some game[.] to night our yo[u]ng folks are having a dance at the Fort

Friday 19 traveled 13 miles we are one hundred miles from the Salt Lake City

1 comment:

  1. My question is...If your name is Bathsheba, why would you name your daughter, Bathsheba? ;o-)


Any suggestions?