Slide 1

Stephen Mack & Hannah Saunders Covey family

Slide 2

Irene, Stephen, Grandy, Helen Jean, John, Marilyn

Slide 3

Grandy, Marilyn, Helen Jean, Irene

Slide 4

Papa & Grandy

Slide 5

Stephen Mack Covey, 4th from the right

Slide 6

John, Helen Jean, Irene, Stephen

Slide 6

Stephen L with his boys

Slide 6

Family photo at Grandy & Papa's house

Slide 6

Snake River cabin

Slide 6

Stephen Longstroth Richards and Grandy in the dining room at the canyon cabin

Slide 6

Christmas, approximately 1912

Slide 6

Believed to be Mark & Susannah Ogden Bigler

Slide 6

George Albert & Bathsheba Bigler Smith

Slide 6

L to R, Stephen Glenn Covey, Irene Louise Richards Covey, Stephen Mack Covey

Slide 6

Enoch & Janett Carruth Young Covey

Slide 6

Stephen L & Irene Smith Merrill Richards

Slide 6

Demas Ashdown & Hannah Barwell Saunders

Slide 6

Stephen Glenn Covey (2nd from right, back row) with siblings

Slide 6

Covey Family Photo at Grandy's and Papa's

Slide 6

L to R, John, Marilyn, Helen Jean, Irene, Stephen

Slide 6

Stephen Mack & Hannah Ashdown Covey

Example Frame

Hannah Barwell



BIRTH...Nov. 7, 1839, Corby North Hampshire, England

PARENTS...John Barwell & Ann White

BAPTISM...Feb 1859 in the ocean

MARRIAGE...Demas Ashdown Saunders, March 20, 1860 at Brighton, Sussex, England


  1. Ann Barwell
  2. John William
  3. Alice
  4. George Thomas
  5. Hannah
  6. Elizabeth Ruth
  7. Ephraim Louis
  8. David Henry
  9. Alfred Joseph
  10. Charles Owen

DEATH...October 1924


Marilyn Louise Williams
Marilyn Richards Covey
Papa (Stephen Glenn Covey)
Hannah Ashdown Saunders
Hannah Barwell

The Hannah Barwell Saunders Story 

I desire to leave a record of those events and scenes through which I have passed that my children, down to my lasted posterity, may understand what ancestors were willing to suffer, and did suffer patiently for the gospel’s sake. And I wish then to know too, that what I now write is the history of hundreds of others men, women, and children, who passed through like scene at the same time we did. 

I also desire them to know that it was in obedience o the commandments of the true and living God< and with the assurance of an eternal reward—an exaltation to eternal life in his kingdom--that we suffered these things. I hope too, that I will to suffer and sacrifice all things they may be required to pass through the sake of the kingdom of god.

I was born in Corby North Hampshire, England November 7th 1839. My father’s name was John Barwell. He was born in Dennethope, North Hampshire, December 7th 1815 and was a shoe maker by trade. My mother’s name was Ann White. She was born in Corby North Hampshire, England August 5th 1810 and was the daughter of Thomas White and Ann Streader. Weather my parent ever joined the church.

I was the oldest of seven children, and helped my mother care for my younger brothers and sisters. I had very little education. Sometimes I went out to service. 

In 1858 having an Aunt and sister in Brighton, I went there and took a position as a maid in a young gentleman’s college. Here I met my future husband, Demas Ashdown Saunders. Learning that he was a Morman. I went to their meetings, curious to find out what they were like. The president of the branch at that time was a bother David Pudney. The visits continued, and in February1 859 I was baptized in the ocean by Demas Saunders at the age of nineteen. 

On March 20th1860, I married Demas Saunders, at Brighton, Sussex England. My husband was born at Walden, Sussex, England, April 24th 1834 and died in Salt Lake city Utah 1898.

On March 30th 1860, our ocean and overland journey to Utah began. We sailed from Liver Pool on board the sailing ship, Underwriter. There were seven hundred should on board, and a cooked meal could only be obtained once in three days as the galley was so small. We had a good but rough passage and several deaths occurred on board. We landed in Castel guard, New York in May 1, 1860.

We went by board and rail to Saint Joseph and from there. We went by boat up the Missouri River to Florence Nebraska. 

We stayed in Florence until June 6th.when we began our journey with handcarts over the plains to Utah. There were about two hundred souls in our company, with fifty handcarts and four wagons with ox teams to carry stores, tents, etc. Captain Daniel Robinson was in command. (Ninth Handcart Company)

For two and one half months we toiled on. Dragging the hand carts load with provisions, clothing and supplies, thru sand and fording many streams. I was a long, dreary Journey and we traveled many miles each day till camp was reached, tired and weary we cooked supper and retired to rest, to gain strength to pursue our course the next day.

The weather was warm and we suffered from heat, thirst and hunger. The provisions ran low until each person was drawing only one once of flour per day. This was mixed with water and a little salt and soda and baked in a skillet. Water was scares and it was often necessary to travel long distances to find sufficient water to drink. We crossed many streams and as there were no bridges, we had to ford them. In some cases the men carried the women on their backs. At other times they waded as the men did.

When we reached Laramie, my sister-in-law, Ann Hook lent money to the captain to buy flour and men were sent to Laramie to procure it. The only game seen was one rabbit. One of the men claimed he shot it and another claimed his dog caught it, and in the ensuing quarrel the rabbit was torn in two, each taking half.

One day as my mother-in-law, Alice Hook, was sitting in her cart, her son attempted to draw a shot gun from the cart, when the gun discharged, the shot going thru her arm. She was healed by the power of faith, through the administration of the brethren.

As the men and team grew tired and weaker, our load had to be lightened and clothing and other belongings were taken out and burned. Only one death occurred during the trip, that of a child which died suddenly. Judging from the experience of other companies we considered ourselves greatly blessed in this regard.

One day a band of Indians, accompanied by some drunken mountaineers, appeared hostile and preparations were made to defend ourselves, but the men in the company were able to quiet them and they passed on in peace.

We wended our way over big and little mountains in Emigration Canyon. When the “Hog Back” at the mouth of the Emigration was reached, we obtained our first view of the city. 

Worn with hunger, and tiered out from my long trip, I cried with disappointment. It was a contrast to the beautiful towns and cities in England. We reached the city on August 27, 1860 and camped on the eigh ward square, where the city and county building now stands. 

The winter was spent in Salt Lake City. 

The following summer (1861) we were called to settle San Pete, making with the tithing teams. We settled in Ephraim and Demas went to work for Bernard snow in the saw mill where he ran a circular saw, taking pay in food.

We stayed in Ephraim until 1863 when we were called to settle Sevier River in circle valley. The first summer the crops were frost bitten. We ran out of flour and had to eat flour make of frost bitten wheat. This wheat was first ground in a coffee mill but later a stone was fixed to grind the wheat. We had only such clothing as we had been able to bring with us and were often hungry.

After the first year, the Indians became hostile and Demas often had to stand guard. One day in the summer of 1864, I say the Indians beginning to gather up the cattle and I gave the alarm. They were driven away but four persons were killed, one of them a boy I saw shot. The Indians took some of the cattle. The trouble continued and the settlement was broken up. 

In June of 1865 we came as far north as Ephraim and stayed two or three months ad Demas was sick with mountain fever. 

In fall of 1865 we returned to Salt Lake City.

In Fall of 1867, We took up land on the east bench and mad our home there on what is now third south and thirteenth East. The first home was a “dugout.” Lumber at that time was worth $10.00 per hundred feet and nails were forty cents per pound. Sage brush was used for fuel. This property is still in possession of the Saunders family.

We were blessed with Ten Children, namely, Ann Barwell, John William, Alice, George Thomas, Hannah, Elizabeth Ruth, Ephraim Louis, David Henry, Alfred Joseph, and Charles Owen. Alice was born in circle valley and John was born in Ephraim. The others were all born in Salt Lake city.

I was acquainted with Brigham Young. At one time Brother John T Cain called me to care for their sick baby and Brigham Young took me to the Cain home in his carriage.

I have been a teacher in the Relief society for fifty five years and I am still working in that capacity (19th). I have had many testimonies of the truth of the work and hope to be faithful to the course of truth. Much of my time is now spent working for the died in the temple. 

Hannah Barwell Saunders died October 1924